ENGLISH 10

Monday, March 06, 2006

VOCABULARY 15

INVETERATE-ADJ- long standing; habitual
I am an inveterate nailbiter; i've been doing it since i was four years old.

MULTIFARIOUS-ADJ- having great variety; numerous and diverse
When you get to college, there are multifarious courses to choose from, unlike the limited options available in high school.

RENEGADE-N- an outlaw, a traitor, a deserter
I've always wanted to be a renegade, but i'm afraid of being hunted down and arrested.

RUMINATE-V- to meditate, to think at length
I have a tendency to ruminate too much about me life instead of just living in the moment.

CARPING-ADJ- complaining
Your carping about having to read every day and write stories and sit in your seats and listen to me is REALLY getting on my nerves. Suck it up and deal!

CLAIRVOYANT-N, ADJ- having exceptional insight; a person with exceptional insight (a psychic)
I am tempted to visit a clairvoyant to find out what my future holds.

PANOPLY-N- 1. A splendid array 2. warrior's armor
We discovered a panoply of old dolls on a hidden table at a nearby garage sale; I scooped them all up.

LOLL-V- to lounge, to act in a lazy manner
Sometimes i think that i'd rather loll around all day watching TV and eating chocolate insted of teaching. Then i come to my senses.

COMPUNCTION-N- remorse, regret
I feel no compunction about punching you in the nose. You can't kiss my boyfriend behind my back!

DISPARAGE-V- to discredit, to belittle
The student disparaged me my calling me a loser with bad hair who can't even teach.



ADIITIONAL 5 FOR HONORS CLASSES:

COMELY-ADJ- attractive and agreeable
Because I am SO comely, all the fella want a date with me; it's those cantankerous girls with warty shins and bloody eyeballs that have trouble getting dates.

ASKEW-ADJ- crooked, slanted
We had always suspected he wore a toupe, but when he came in with his hair quite askew one windy day, we knew for sure it was a rag.

PRESAGE-V- foretell
The vultures flying overhead presaged the discovery of the corpse.

UNCOUTH-ADJ- outlandish and rude
I refused to bring my uncouth boyfriend to dinner at my prim and proper granma's house. He is more suited for been and peanuts at a biker bar.

GOSSAMER-ADJ- sheer, like cobwebs
The gossamer veil softened her face and made her look like a dream on her wedding day.

AND NOW........THE EXTRA CREDIT!!!!

COMSTOCKERY-N- Censorship of literature and other forms of expression and communication because of perceived immorality or obscenity

IN CAMERA-ADV-In secret; privately. OR In private with a judge rather than in open court.

PETTIFOGGER-N- n 1: a person (especially a lawyer or politician) who uses unscrupulous or unethical methods 2: a disputant who quibbles; someone who raises annoying petty objections

PANTOFFLE-N- A slipper

UFOLOGY-N-The study of unidentified flying objects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home